Thursday, August 10, 2017

Depression Awareness: The Benefits of Having a Pet

Hello Everyone!



For today's depression awareness post I'm going to focus on the benefits of having a pet to cope with depression. It feels like I haven't written one of these posts in forever!

One of the best memories I have from my teenage years and early 20's would be those of my dog Lucky. My mom got him for me as a Valentine's Day present in 2001 when I was 15 years old. Side Note: I had pictures of Lucky, but they were damaged in that flood in 2015

Why I had a Dog

As long as I could remember, I've loved animals particularly dogs. One of these reasons my mom got Lucky for me was to fill the void of my favorite aunt passing away a few months earlier in November 2000. I remember getting my dog Lucky  just like it was yesterday. He was this cute little 5lb (practically a newborn puppy) black and white Cava-Tzu (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Shih-Tzu) puppy with the happiest spirit. It was love at first sight. He so precious and adorable. 


How Having A Pet Helps with Depression

I know that I can only speak for myself, but I really think that having a pet helps with depression. For example, having a pet give you to a routine. You wouldn't want to neglect your pet by letting him or her go hungry or thisty etc would you?

Every now and again depression can make a person feel to tired or not want to get out of bed and engage in daily activities. When I had Lucky, I used to take him for walk or I would have him accompany me while I went for a jog. I don't think he minded too much since he like going for walks and runs anyway lol. Being active is an important factor when dealing with depression. Studies have shown that the body release endorphins while exercising which can improve your overall mood.


Pets Need to be Shown Love Too

Animals are a lot like people, they have feelings and need to be shown love too. I think one day I'll probably get another dog. The next dog I get I would like to look into getting a rescue dog. Sadly Lucky died in July 2007, but I'll never forget the joy he added to my life.


August 2017 Posts


July 2017 Posts







Thanks for stopping by my blog!







14 comments:

Beauty Unearthly said...

Lovely post dear! xx

Marie said...

Having a pet does brighten your day and your life! Great post !

Unknown said...

I definitely think having a pet can help with depression. I agree with the part you said about they keep you having a routine, but I also think they help with loneliness too! I think it's great that you'd get another dog someday, especially a rescue!

Rowena @ rolala loves said...

It makes sense that having a pet could help someone with depression. Sounds like you had a wonderful life with Lucky and I hope you can find that joy again with another pet one day Pilar!

Pilar said...

Thanks!

Pilar said...

Thanks Marie, and I agree!

Pilar said...

Yes! Pets do help with loneliness too! Lucky wasn't a rescue dog, but I've been thinking about possibly getting a rescue dog in the future!

Pilar said...

Lucky was a great dog! I think that I could find joy with another dog in the future!

Red Rose Alley said...

That was so good of your mom to get Lucky at the time of your aunt's passing. Yes, dogs are wonderful, and my favorite dog I ever had was a Dachshund named Cinnamon. It's funny how we remember our beloved animals from long ago. That's great that you want to get a rescue dog. They need so much love and attention. I hope you find just the right one for you, Pilar.

~Sheri

Anonymous said...

Very insightful post!

Susie said...

Pilar, I too think pets help with depression. My daughter says there's some dalmatians that come to the nursing home for her patients to enjoy. I have seen them three time myself. They came to Layla birthday party too. They are gentle. I am so glad your mom got Lucky for you. I love that you walked your dog too. Some time kids want pets , but do not want to care for them. I think walking them is important. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Pilar said...

That was sweet of my mom to get Lucky! She loved him so much too! I would to get a rescue dog, they need love, attention, and care too!

Pilar said...

Thanks!

Pilar said...

I know that nursing homes have pet therapy for their residents, and I think that it's wonderful! I was glad my mom got Lucky for me too! He loved going for walks! It's so important that children learn to care for their pets!

How to Survive a 12.5 Hour Shift

 Hello Everyone! I'm no stranger to working long hours, but when it comes to working a 12.5 hour shift. I must admit I'm a newbie lo...